Friday 1 June 2018

A prefab ...... now that's a zippy title

Now the chances are, if you grew up in the 1950s you either lived in one or knew someone who lived in a prefab.

They were our answer to the housing shortage after the last war and have become one of those iconic images of the post war period.

My friend Colin lived in one, but I can’t remember now exactly where.

I have a vague memory of it being on one of those long roads off Erlanger, Pepys, or Jerningham Roads but I can’t remember. 

I did go looking, hoping that there may be a clue in a modern block of flats, but so far I have drawn a blank.

Still someone may know.

In the meantime I now have my own copyright free picture of a prefab, sent to me by Rosie Jones.

Rosie had responded to a story about one of my adventures in East Dulwich and commented that “I recently walked from West Norwood to East Dulwich, which was exciting even at my age. This prefab on Lordship Lane took my eye”.

And it has taken mine.

So a little bit of our joint past bounces back.

Location; East Dulwich

Picture; the Prefab, Lordship Lane, 2018, courtesy of Rosie Jones.

*The nowhere adventure ........ out of Peckham and on till morning, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-nowhere-adventure-out-of-peckham.html

No comments:

Post a Comment