Friday 25 May 2012

Rare pictures of Manchester children in Canada

Now I have made no secret of my reservations of the British Home Child scheme but in researching the story I have been drawn into the work of the Manchester & Salford Boys and Girls Refuge which was founded in 1870 to give destitute children a bed for the night.

 During its first decade it broadened its activities, and the more I know of its work the more I have a lot to admire. It did send children to Canada but so did other children’s organisations.

The Together Trust which holds its records have published some of the photographs of the children that were sent from here and they appear on the blog at http://togethertrustarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/photographs-fom-canada-1894.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+TogetherTrustArchive-GettingDownAndDusty+(Together+Trust+Archive+-+getting+down+and+dusty!

 They remain a fascinating archive and one that I hope will continue.

Picture; Courtesy of the Together Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment