Monday 11 December 2017

On Edge Lane, sometime before 1987


Sometimes you just have to accept defeat.  Not that it happens often, but on occasion all attempts to probe the secrets of a picture come to nothing.

And so it is with this house.  The caption just says demolished in 1987, and that is all you get.

Now it is in a section of the collection devoted to Edge Lane so we are sort of a little way forward but that is as far as it goes.

The annoying thing is I should know the place having walked up and down Edge Lane in the decade before it was pulled down, but it stubbornly sits at the back of my mind and I cannot place it.

And as you do I have scanned Edge Lane for any clues to where it may have been.  There are a few spots where there is new build which might date from the late 1980s or 90s but I can’t be sure.  Nor are the OS maps much help. Both the 1907 and 1935 maps deliver up a number of candidates but that is all they are.

I can narrow the hunt a little because it has to be a detached house set only a little way from the road but that still leaves a few to choose from.

If I had to be more precise I think it may be the Chorlton end of Edge Lane perhaps the stretch from the Church to the junction with Wilbraham Road, and possible a little past Kingshill Road.

But it’s all a bit too vague and there remain too many variables, so I shall conclude by repeating one of those frequent observations that often “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.”

Picture; from the Lloyd collection

No comments:

Post a Comment