Monday 4 December 2017

Your past needs you ......... helping discover Manchester’s history

Now I know it is a very unsubtle play on a poster from the Great War but it does the business.

The Wholesale Fish Market, 1974
My old friend Neil Simpson and a group of equally dedicated volunteers have been scanning a huge collection of images previously unseen for the Town Hall Photographer's Collection Digitisation Project in the Central Library.

And yes that is not the most zippy of titles but it does perfectly describe the plan.

According to Neil “the images are dated from 1956 to 2007 and there are approximately 200,000 negatives to be digitised at three minutes a scan.

If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer on the Town Hall Photographer's Collection Digitisation Project in the Central Library. 

Then, in the first instance, you need to fill in an expression of interest form.

Inside the Market, 1974
Notice that the form DOESN'T have a specific Town Hall Photographer's tick box, but just tick any job and write in the comment box...’Siobhan, I want to Volunteer for the Town Hall Photographer's Collection’.*

You will then need to attend a Volunteer's Induction and have the two referees return their letters.”

At which point I have to hang my head in shame and say that despite good intentions I have yet to join Neil and the team .... but I will, which will then allow me to answer the question What did you do for Manchester’s Past?

And did you see what I did there?  I used that other Great War recruitment poster as a further play on the project.

Outside
In my defence I have been writing stories to accompany some of the rediscovered images, ranging from the tale of a row of houses on Upper Brook Street, to the inside of an iron works on the Ashton Old Road, and these of the Wholesale Fish Market in 1974, which I visited just before it closed.

But that I know is no substitute to helping generate more pictures, so I am on my way Neil ..... promise.

Location; Manchester



Pictures; the Wholesale Fish Market, 1974, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

*Volunteer with Manchester Libraries, https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/forms/form/1058/en/be_a_library_volunteer_-_expression_of_interest_form

No comments:

Post a Comment