Thursday 3 May 2018

“Across the Ocean: One Family’s Journey to Rediscovery” ....... from Pam Parks

The stories of BHC are as varied as the young people who were migrated.

This is Pam’s story.

Daisy aged 12 years
“My grandmother was a British Home Child (BHC). Her name was Daisy and she was 6 when she and her sister Rose, 8, came over in 1903 on the Siberian.

They were separated upon arrival in Nova Scotia and raised in separate households. They did not see each other after arrival until they were adults.

The event that changed the course of their lives and had them sailing across the ocean was their mother’s death during childbirth.

The family unit was shattered and the children were between their grandmother’s and father’s homes. Their father was a bricklayer and away for weeks at a time.

The children, according to Middlemore records, were often truant.

Their grandmother, Sarah Earl, 63, was having trouble managing them all, despite their father’s efforts to pay her and others to care for them (there were 5 children in total).

The letter from Daisy, 1904
Henry Thomas was faced with what must have been tremendously heartbreaking decisions.

Would he send his children to Canada with the hope they would find a better life? If so, would he send the three oldest, or pick one, or two? I can’t imagine being faced with this dilemma.

The circumstances and hardship were grueling, and in the end, it was decided that the oldest boy and the two youngest would stay; Daisy and Rose’s destinies lay in Canada.

Fortunately, both girls were adopted into homes where they flourished and went on to raise families of their own.

Amongst the three other children who stayed, there was, Henry, 10, a younger sister, Violet, 2, and the new baby, William.

Those that remained did not venture far from Birmingham. Henry died at sixteen. William went on to marry but had no children of his own. Violet married and raised a family.

Impact of Migration on those Left Behind:

Henry's letter, 1904
I was prompted to write to Andrew Simpson after reading his blog about the impact of the BHC migration on those left behind; the parent(s), siblings, extended family. I am attaching a letter my grandmother’s brother Henry wrote to her not long after she had left England. It is both tender, heartbreaking, but at the same time filled with hope for his sister’s future.

May his letter give you a sense of what it was like for the siblings left behind. I have also included a letter my grandmother wrote to Mr. Middlemore.

It has the spark of what was to be her new life.

As far as the father and extended family, we can only imagine that it weighed heavily.

Reconnection:

It was an article about the BHC that got me thinking and wondering about my grandmother Daisy’s experience.

We started pulling out old documents and pictures. I wondered how the siblings who stayed in Birmingham had made out?  What kind of lives had they had? .......leading my brother to do an internet search of my grandmother’s name.

We came across a message board on Ancestry Elizabeth Scott had written wondering about her grandmother Violet’s sisters, Daisy and Rose, how they had fared; “I would so love to find out what sort of lives these children led and how they grew up etc.. would love to know if there were children, grandchildren etc.. “

Across the ocean we had been wondering the same thing!

The journey to reuniting had begun!

Trip to England:

This year has allowed me to connect with many relatives I had never met. Researching the history and my grandmother’s Birmingham roots has been fascinating! Reconnecting with long lost family a gift.
My mom who is 91 is writing to her first cousin that she has never met. It’s wonderful!

I live in Ottawa, Canada.

I have never been to the UK, but am so excited to be traveling to England this July!

I have been in communication with some of Violet’s grandchildren and have received two snail mail letters from Violet’s 83 year old daughter, Rose in Tamworth.  (Each time I get a letter, it feels like Christmas)! I have yet to see a picture of Violet, but apparently she looks just like my grandmother Daisy! Can’t wait to meet and see them all.

Daisy and Rose in later life
Birmingham went to Canada. Over a hundred years later, Canada is coming back!

Pam Parks,© 2018

Location; Canada & the UK












Pictures; courtesy of Pam Parks

2 comments:

  1. love reading these stories ,thank you all for sharing them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story so pleased that you have found your family links in Birmingham U.K. enjoy your time with them and thank you for sharing, My husband has 2 Gt Cousins who went with Middlemore homes in the 1800's 2 brothers I still hope that some time I may come across a distant relative who can tell me about how their lives where in Ontario, or even a photo just to see if any family resemblance, it's fascinating as well as very sad x

    ReplyDelete