Tuesday 8 May 2018

Clayton Hall reveals a few of its secrets .......

Now my old friend Ron told me that this is his favourite picture of the collection he took on Saturday of the Hall.

Clayton Hall, 2018
And I have to agree.

Ron and I have known each other for a few years and he often sends me some fine pictures as well as examples from his extensive picture postcard collection.

So I was pleased that we fell across each other at Clayton Hall and what’s more he shared these two photographs of the building which dates back to the 15th century, with additions from the next three centuries.

And as much as I admire the first of the two, the second fascinated me, because it shows the original roof in the oldest part of the hall.

For centuries it was lost to the gaze of most people, but in the course of the renovation of the building, the Friends decided to make a feature of what had been an access point into the roof.

Looking into the Hall's past, 2018
And so the wooden panel has been replaced by glass and the rest as they say is a picture by Ron and an opening onto the past.

Look closely and in the V shaped of the roof space is a section of the old wattle and daub wall covering.

This is a revelation for me, because despite writing about wattle and daub, this is the closest I have ever come to the stuff.

So a first for me and a thank you to Ron.

Leaving me to say that the the Hall is open on the first and third Saturday of each month, from 11am to 4pm, is free to visit and there are history talks at 12 and 2, and according to the web site, “group visits can be booked for a minimum of 10 people. 

We are happy to arrange a date and time on days or evenings when we are not already open to the public.   

The same applies for school visits. Information and bookings via info@claytonhall.com“*

Location; Clayton

Pictures; the Hall, 2018 from the collection of Ron Stubley

No comments:

Post a Comment